Tabard hears complaints on almost a daily basis of pesky audience members interrupting performances with their mobile phones.
Andrew Scott has previously blamed middle-aged patrons “who don’t know how to turn it off” as the leading troublemakers, while Patti LuPone once plucked a phone from a spectator’s hand mid-performance.
One audience member has now taken mobile phone disruption to a whole new level – after their device burst into flames and an entire theatre had to be evacuated.
The incident occurred during the interval of comedian Jason Manford’s show Muddle Class at the Lyric Theatre at the Lowry in Salford.
According to the BBC, the show was delayed by 20 minutes while the theatre was evacuated and the fire service called.
Taking it all in his stride, Manford told his social media followers that he was “on fire tonight”, while tweeting a photo of the fire engine at the venue.
The comedian then posted a picture of the scorched mobile phone, updating fans that the show would be resuming shortly.
The Lowry posted on Twitter: “The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron’s mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.
“Our security removed the phone from the venue and the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures.”