All remaining performances of Nora at the Young Vic have been cancelled, with the theatre stating that the “health and wellbeing of our audiences and staff will always be a priority”.
Both performances of the play were cancelled on March 14, as a precaution, but now the remaining shows in the run – which had been due to continue until March 21 – have been pulled.
Although the performances are cancelled, the Young Vic building, box office and the Cut bar are set to remain open, the theatre said.
“We thank the Nora company for their extraordinary collaboration in bringing this show to our stage. We are immensely proud of the production and everyone who contributed to it. We will do everything we can to support our ecosystem of artists, staff, partners and community, many of whom are freelance, during this unprecedented time,” it said.
It added: “As a charity, we rely on ticket sales for a substantial portion of our income, and the uncertainty ahead is a huge worry for those who work for and with us, as it is for the theatre sector as a whole. Therefore – if you can afford to – please consider donating the price of your ticket, or another amount however large or small, to the Young Vic, to help us get through this period.”
Performances at the Old Vic have already been cancelled because of coronavirus, with venues including the Turbine and the Arcola in London also closing.