Diary: Jason Manford’s wit’s on fire as phone goes up in flames
Tabard hears complaints on almost a daily basis of pesky audience members interrupting performances with their mobile phones.
Andrew Scott has previously blamed middle-aged patrons “who don’t know how to turn it off” as the leading troublemakers, while Patti LuPone once plucked a phone from a spectator’s hand mid-performance.
One audience member has now taken mobile phone disruption to a whole new level – after their device burst into flames and an entire theatre had to be evacuated.
The incident occurred during the interval of comedian Jason Manford’s show Muddle Class at the Lyric Theatre at the Lowry in Salford.
According to the BBC, the show was delayed by 20 minutes while the theatre was evacuated and the fire service called.
Taking it all in his stride, Manford told his social media followers that he was “on fire tonight”, while tweeting a photo of the fire engine at the venue.
The comedian then posted a picture of the scorched mobile phone, updating fans that the show would be resuming shortly.
The Lowry posted on Twitter: “The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron’s mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.
“Our security removed the phone from the venue and the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures.”
We need your help…
When you subscribe to The Stage, you’re investing in our journalism. And our journalism is invested in supporting theatre and the performing arts.
The Stage is a family business, operated by the same family since we were founded in 1880. We do not receive government funding. We are not owned by a large corporation. Our editorial is not dictated by ticket sales.
We are fully independent, but this means we rely on revenue from readers to survive.
Help us continue to report on great work across the UK, champion new talent and keep up our investigative journalism that holds the powerful to account. Your subscription helps ensure our journalism can continue.