The Royal Opera House has confirmed that choreographer Liam Scarlett’s position with the organisation has ended.
The announcement coincides with the conclusion of an investigation into Scarlett’s alleged inappropriate sexual behaviour with students at the Royal Ballet School.
According to a statement from the Royal Opera House, the independent investigation found “there were no matters to pursue in relation to alleged contact with the students of the Royal Ballet School”, but that Scarlett’s association with the ROH had come to an end.
The statement said: “The Royal Opera House has confirmed that Liam Scarlett’s position with the Royal Ballet ended on March 23, 2020.
“As he will no longer work with, or for, the Royal Ballet, it has been agreed that the scheduled performances of Liam Scarlett’s Symphonic Dances will not go ahead this summer.
“We can confirm that the independent investigation has concluded and found there were no matters to pursue in relation to alleged contact with students of the Royal Ballet School.”
A spokesman for the Royal Opera House said that it was unable to comment further on the specifics of the investigation in order to “preserve the anonymity of the individuals concerned and as a duty of care to staff and artists”, but confirmed that no criminal charges have been brought against Scarlett.
Following the initial allegations last August, Scarlett was suspended from the Royal Opera House, where he had been artist in residence since 2012.
An independent investigation was then opened into the choreographer’s behaviour, with ballet organisations across the world subsequently cutting ties with the choreographer.
Despite other organisations cancelling productions featuring the choreographer’s work, the Royal Opera House went ahead with a production of Swan Lake this month featuring Scarlett’s choreography.