A new West End production of Martin McDonagh’s The Pillowman, which was due to open next month, has delayed its run but confirmed it will return next year.
Starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Steve Pemberton, the play had been scheduled to open at the Duke of York’s Theatre on July 24.
It was confirmed this week that West End theatres will stay closed until August at the earliest, meaning the production has been postponed.
In a joint statement, McDonagh and director Matthew Dunster said: "Whilst we are naturally disappointed that The Pillowman can’t go ahead this summer, we are fully committed to realising this new production in the near future. We have an extraordinary cast and creative team and can’t wait to bring this new vision of the play to audiences.”
No further details of the rescheduled production have yet been announced, however producer James Bierman said it would be back in the West End next year.
He said: "Postponing The Pillowman until 2021 due to Covid-19 related issues is, sadly, the right thing to do. Since we announced the show, we have been blown away by the public response and all of us are really looking forward to being able to finally deliver the great play to audiences next year.”