Get our free email newsletter with just one click

Majority of people approve of Tricycle name change – poll

An artist's impression of the view from the auditorium in the redesigned Tricycle Theatre. Photo: ChampanWaterworth An artist's impression of the view from the auditorium in the redesigned theatre. Photo: ChampanWaterworth
by -

More than half of people answering a poll by The Stage approve of the Tricycle’s name change to Kiln Theatre.

It follows criticisms of the theatre’s decision to rebrand among its local community in Kilburn, north London, with an online petition opposing it signed by 773 people.

An online poll by The Stage asked readers whether they liked Kiln as the new name for the Tricycle.

55% of the 1,291 people who voted said yes, representing 708 individuals. The remaining 45% said they did not like the change in name.

When Kiln artistic director Indhu Rubasingham announced the new name earlier this month, she said it denoted a space for transformation, energy, heat and forging and said it “absolutely locates [the theatre] in Kilburn”.

While some welcomed the change, others claimed updating the theatre’s name – after more than 30 years as the Tricycle – rejected its “proud legacy” and have called for the name to be reverted.

Kiln reopens in September after a £5.5 million refurbishment, with a programme of work that includes a stage adaptation of Zadie Smith’s White Teeth and a revival of the musical Blues in the Night.

We need your help…

When you subscribe to The Stage, you’re investing in our journalism. And our journalism is invested in supporting theatre and the performing arts.

The Stage is a family business, operated by the same family since we were founded in 1880. We do not receive government funding. We are not owned by a large corporation. Our editorial is not dictated by ticket sales.

We are fully independent, but this means we rely on revenue from readers to survive.

Help us continue to report on great work across the UK, champion new talent and keep up our investigative journalism that holds the powerful to account. Your subscription helps ensure our journalism can continue.