Old Vic appoints external advisers in wake of Kevin Spacey allegations
The Old Vic has appointed external advisers to handle any information it receives in the wake of the allegations facing former artistic director Kevin Spacey.
In a statement, the London theatre said it was “deeply dismayed” to learn of the accusations made against Spacey by the actor Anthony Rapp, who claims Spacey made a sexual advance on him in 1986, when he was 14 and Spacey was 26.
Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic for 11 years between 2004 and 2015, when he was succeeded by present artistic director Matthew Warchus.
The theatre has now said that if anyone connected with the Old Vic or in its employment who has a complaint they “were unable to raise”, they should contact the theatre, and all experiences shared will be dealt with in “the utmost confidence and with sensitivity”.
The Old Vic added that external advisers had been appointed to help it deal with any information received as a result of this. A spokesperson described the advisers as “investigators to help the Old Vic deal appropriately should any allegations be made.”
The statement also said: “Inappropriate behaviour by anyone working at the Old Vic is completely unacceptable. We aim to foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level, as set out in our joint statement with the theatre industry on October 23.”