dfp_header_hidden_string

Charity Commission: no action will be taken against Old Vic

Kevin Spacey. Photo: Rena Schild/Shutterstock Kevin Spacey. Photo: Rena Schild/Shutterstock
by -

The Charity Commission will not be taking regulatory action against the Old Vic Theatre in relation to its former artistic director Kevin Spacey.

On November 16, the Old Vic published a report on its investigation into Spacey, which revealed 20 allegations of misconduct relating to his time there.

Spacey is understood to be under investigation for two alleged sexual assaults by the metropolitan police, one of which was alleged following the Old Vic’s report.

A spokeswoman for the Charity Commission previously said the regulatory body was assessing the report, and it was expected to take a month before there was an update.

However, the Commission has now revealed that, as it stands, it will not be taking any further action towards the Old Vic, and it is satisfied with the action the theatre has taken to address concerns against Spacey.

A spokeswoman said: “As part of the Charity Commission’s extensive correspondence with the trustees of the Old Vic Theatre, we reminded them of their reporting requirements and the need for charities to have robust safeguarding polices in place to protect all people who come into contact with them.

“We are satisfied that the charity has sought relevant advice in order to carry out thorough investigations into allegations against their former artistic director and has set out a way forward for the theatre to create a safe and secure working environment for all.”

She added: “The trustees cooperated with our requests in a timely manner and submitted a full serious incident report. There is no further regulatory role for the Commission at this time, but we have asked the charity to keep us updated on these matters.”

Click here for all The Stage’s coverage of harassment in the theatre industry and advice on who to contact if you or someone you know has been a victim.

loading...
^