Andrew Scott Hamlet cancels first Almeida preview
The first preview of Hamlet, starring Andrew Scott, has been cancelled owing to staff changes on the production.
Hamlet was due to open for previews tonight (February 17) at London’s Almeida Theatre, however the first performance has been cancelled following changes made to the staff working on the production, the theatre confirmed.
A spokeswoman for the venue said the decision had been taken to postpone the show’s opening “to allow for the production to complete its technical rehearsal and be fully ready for its first audiences”.
She added that further performances of the production would not be affected, and the first preview would now take place on February 18.
Press night is on February 28, with the production running until April 8.
The theatre said that its box office would be contacting people with tickets for the cancelled performance, with tickets being rescheduled for alternative performances during the run.
This week, the theatre announced a four-day festival aimed at young people that will run in conjunction with the show, in April. Under-25s are being offered free tickets to the show as part of the plans.
Hamlet is directed by Robert Icke and also features Juliet Stevenson.
We need your help…
When you subscribe to The Stage, you’re investing in our journalism. And our journalism is invested in supporting theatre and the performing arts.
The Stage is a family business, operated by the same family since we were founded in 1880. We do not receive government funding. We are not owned by a large corporation. Our editorial is not dictated by ticket sales.
We are fully independent, but this means we rely on revenue from readers to survive.
Help us continue to report on great work across the UK, champion new talent and keep up our investigative journalism that holds the powerful to account. Your subscription helps ensure our journalism can continue.