Final winners announced in The Stage Awards for Acting Excellence 2015
Sophie Melville, Luke Wright, Donal O’Kelly and Sorcha Fox have collected the last remaining gongs in The Stage Awards for Acting Excellence at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2015.
Melville was presented with the award for her role as Effie in Iphigenia in Splott, Sherman Cymru’s much-lauded production at the Pleasance Dome.
In a five-star review for The Stage, lead critic Natasha Tripney described her performance as “extraordinary”. She praised Melville’s command of the material, “both in the way she negotiates the space and the way she addresses the audience; she is alternately hostile, and vulnerable, seductive, heart-breaking.”
Performance poet Wright was awarded for his monologue, What I Learned from Johnny Bevan, which ran at Summerhall.
The Stage’s lead critic Natasha Tripney said: “Wright has, hands-down, created one of the most powerful solo shows this year with his poetic monologue, What I Learned From Johnny Bevan. This is not a recital, it’s a performance, one of nuance and precision and force, an example of someone at the top of their craft.”
Elsewhere, O’Kelly and Fox garnered an ensemble award for playing a large cast of characters in Little Thing, Big Thing at Assembly during the fringe. In his four-star review for The Stage, Gerald Berkowitz said: “One of the production’s pleasures is watching the confidence, authority and ease with which they smoothly navigate the instantaneous changes in roles.”
These are the final awards given this year. The full list of winners in The Stage Awards for Acting Excellence 2015 are as follows:
- Maureen Beattie (The Jennifer Tremblay Trilogy)
- Lizzie Clarke (Molly)
- Aoife Duffin (A Girl Is a Half-Formed Thing)
- Ensemble (1972: The Future of Sex)
- Ensemble (Little Thing, Big Thing)
- Ensemble (Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour)
- Ensemble (Police Cops)
- Ensemble (UKIP! The Musical)
- Andy Gray (Willie and Sebastian)
- Sophie Melville (Iphigenia in Splott)
- Sean Michael Verey (Tonight with Donny Stixx)
- Molly Vevers (Ross and Rachel)
- Luke Wright (What I Learned from Johnny Bevan)