Full Monty writer blames “producer-less” production for early closure
The Full Monty writer Simon Beaufoy has hit out at the show’s producer, claiming he did not come to the production or talk to the cast and crew ahead of the announcement that the play is closing early.
Writing on a petition that has been set up to prevent the show closing on March 29, three months earlier than planned, Beaufoy said he was “devastated the show is ending early and pondering on how on earth that can happen to a play that regularly gets standing ovations”.
Beaufoy claimed the show’s producer had had little involvement with the play since it began playing at the Noel Coward Theatre in London last month. He claimed the play had “faltered” because of this.
He said he was initially told that Delfont Mackintosh, the theatre’s owner, had decided to close the show.
But he went on to state that he later learned the show’s producers – David Pugh and Dafydd Rogers – had made the decision.
Beaufoy refers to “a producer” in his remarks, but does not name anyone specifically.
He questioned why a producer would “close his own show before it had any chance of finding an audience”.
He also accused one of the producers of not coming to see the production in the West End.
“Perhaps he can answer these questions. I can’t because he hasn’t spoken either to me or the creative team in months. He absented himself utterly from the West End run of the play. Without his undoubted skills and experience, a producer-less show faltered,” he said.
He added: “To everyone who bought tickets and now can’t see it, the woman who bought flights from Japan especially for the show, the coach driver in Richmond who had his coach booked out for 300 people, I am so sorry. We so wanted to put a smile on your face. And that was guaranteed.”
The Full Monty was co-produced in the West End by Sheffield Theatres and David Pugh and Dafydd Rogers.