Cast owed thousands as Disco Inferno folds
Performers including former EastEnders actor Sam Attwater have been left thousands of pounds out of pocket, after a musical they were starring in was cancelled just days into its run.
Disco Inferno, which had a 21-strong cast that also included ex-Tracey Beaker star Dani Harmer, Javine Hylton and Matthew Goodgame, was pulled on August 25 – just minutes before an evening show was due to take place and only five days into its six-week tour.
Audience members at Malvern Theatres, which had been hosting the production during the first leg of its tour, were told it was because of a “dispute” between the producer of the show – Garth Harrison – and the company.
Following this initial announcement, a message appeared on the website for the musical informing people that the tour had been axed.
A message appeared on the show’s website, operated by the musical’s writer, Jai Sepple, stating: “Unfortunately the tour of Disco Inferno has been cancelled. We are currently awaiting an official statement from the show’s producer, Garth Harrison, of Disco Inferno Productions Ltd.”
Speaking to The Stage, Sepple, who penned the show in the 1990s, said he had had little involvement with the production of this tour.
“I have not had any official word from the producer. All I can say is the whole thing is bitterly disappointing and I feel terribly sorry for the cast. All I ever found out about the production closing was through Twitter and Facebook,” he said.
Precise details are unclear, but it is thought the performers were unwilling to continue with the tour due to concerns about payments owed to them and the show’s future.
A source close to the production said that cast members had not been paid all that was owed to them.
“After three weeks of rehearsals and being promised they were going to get paid, the performers decided they had had enough,” the source added.
There is also understood to have been a contractual dispute between one of the performers and the show’s producer.
Harrison declined to comment.
We need your help…
When you subscribe to The Stage, you’re investing in our journalism. And our journalism is invested in supporting theatre and the performing arts.
The Stage is a family business, operated by the same family since we were founded in 1880. We do not receive government funding. We are not owned by a large corporation. Our editorial is not dictated by ticket sales.
We are fully independent, but this means we rely on revenue from readers to survive.
Help us continue to report on great work across the UK, champion new talent and keep up our investigative journalism that holds the powerful to account. Your subscription helps ensure our journalism can continue.