Competition: Win a week’s sailing trip with songwriter Richard Stilgoe worth £745
The Jubilee Sailing Trust, in partnership with the Orpheus Trust, offers you the chance to sail on board SV Tenacious for a week, creating and performing a new show with Cats and Phantom of the Opera songwriter Richard Stilgoe. Come experience life on board a tall ship whilst spending time with one of musical theatre’s greatest masterminds in a truly unique environment.
After an introduction by Richard Stilgoe, the Orpheus Centre and the Jubilee Sailing Trust are working together in the summer of 2018 to produce a Songs on the Sea voyage crewed by students of the Orpheus Centre, their assistants, skilled tutors, and other disabled young adults. Richard Stilgoe will be participating in the voyage himself so this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to work with one of Britain’s top songwriters on the world’s largest operational wooden ship to create a completely original performance.
The Orpheus Centre is an independent specialist college in Surrey that specialises in performing and visual arts and makes dramatic improvements to young disabled adults’ lives. The Jubilee Sailing Trust (JST) operates the only two tall ships in the world which were custom built so that disabled people can sail as full crew members – challenging crew to do things they never thought possible, improving self-belief, confidence and showcasing the power of inclusive teams in an enabled environment.
The 5-day voyage will take place in 2018 and will start in Southampton on July 23 and end in Portsmouth on the 27th. The crew will be a mix of people with physical, sensory and learning disabilities and also people without a disability. During the voyage, the crew will write and rehearse a musical spectacular to be performed upon arrival in Portsmouth as the centrepiece of an in-port event celebrating diversity, creativity, ability, and breaking down barriers between disabled and non-disabled people.
During the first day of the voyage, crew will be briefed by both the professional crew of the ship and also the team at Orpheus. The remaining days will be a mixture of sail training and rehearsal time that will come to a climax on the final day when the performance takes place in Portsmouth.
For the chance to win win a place on-board the Tenacious with Richard Stilgoe, go to thestage.co.uk/competitions and enter your details and put ORPHEUS in the code box. Entries close at midnight on May 20.
If you would like to secure a berth on the trip and don’t want to wait to see if you have won a place, The Stage and the Jubilee Sailing Trust are offering 20% off your booking. To claim your discount go to jst.org.uk/orpheus and enter the code Stage20 when booking.
Terms and Conditions: TNS506A ‘Songs on the Sea’
Competition entries are submitted on the condition that you have read and accepted all the terms and conditions below, unless specifically agreed at the discretion of the Senior Leadership team at the Jubilee Sailing Trust.
The prize includes one voyage place on-board TNS506A, Southampton-Portsmouth, 23-27 July 2018 on board SV Tenacious. The prize includes accommodation on board for 4 nights and 3-meals a day, along with unlimited soft & hot drinks. All required safety equipment and training is provided on board. Travel to the ship in Southampton, insurance for the voyage, any excess accommodation and subsistence either side of the voyage are not included in the prize.
Please see competition terms and conditions below before entering. The competition closes at midnight on May 20.
- By entering the competition you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions
- The competition is open to UK residents aged 16 or over.
- The competition winner is the person chosen at random by the Stage magazine. The prize is transferable into one other person’s name, providing they meet the requirements of the voyage as set out by the Jubilee Sailing Trust.
- The random competition winner must pass the JST booking & medical process in order to sail. The initial process must be completed by 05/06/2018. If the person is deemed not fit to sail on the specified voyage then the JST may transfer their place onto another voyage, at the discretion of the JST, and the prize may be drawn again.
- The decision of the Stage Magazine as to the winning entry is final.
- The winner is responsible for making all arrangements and meeting all costs – at their own expense – that may be necessary to take up and enjoy their prize including, but not limited to costs of travel, accommodation outside of the voyage dates, travel insurance, other incidentals, and medical checks.
- The prize will lapse, and not be claimable, unless they have been booked by 05/06/2018. No cash alternative will be offered and the Jubilee Sailing Trust accepts no liability should the prize, for any reason whatsoever, not have been taken by this date.
- The name (initial and surname only) of the winner will be published on the JST and The Stage website and social media channels unless any request for anonymity has been agreed by the Trust at their sole discretion.
- The prize is not transferable to another voyage, this is non negotiable.
- The winner will be sent an email setting out the details for claiming their prize.
- To the extent permitted by law, the Jubilee Sailing Trust does not accept any liability for any loss, damage, claim or costs howsoever arising from or incurred wholly or partly by participation in the competition.