The Stage Edinburgh Awards
The Stage Edinburgh Awards recognise outstanding theatre performances at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. They are awarded throughout August and winners can be individual performers or entire ensembles.
Previous award winners include Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Jade Anouka, Julie Hesmondhalgh, Monica Dolan, Rash Dash and Daniel Kitson.
“I am really, really thrilled”
Julie Hesmondhalgh, 2018 winner
“We are absolutely overjoyed”
Kill The Beast, 2016 winner
“It’s a real privilege”
Katherine Pearce, 2018 winner
Established in 1995, The Stage Edinburgh Awards have developed a reputation for spotting excellence at the Edinburgh Fringe and signalling the year’s hottest shows. The awards are a clear marker of quality and are used by both the public and producers in Edinburgh, with winning shows going on to tour the UK and transfer to the West End.
Unlike other awards, there are no set categories and no limit to the number of awards that can be given – they are simply awarded to performers and productions the judging panel feel are deserving. The awards are presented at the end of winning performances, with winners also invited to celebrate at The Stage Edinburgh Party.
All shows covered by The Stage’s Edinburgh reviews team during the festival are eligible. If you have won an award or your show has been reviewed by The Stage find useful information for your promotional materials here.
Award winners at the 2019 Edinburgh Fringe included:
- Nigel Barrett and Sophie Melville for Pops at Assembly Roxy
- Richard Gadd for Baby Reindeer at Summerhall
- Breffni Holahan for Collapsible at Assembly Roxy
- Caroline Horton for All of Me at Summerhall
- Shauna Macdonald and Angus Taylor for Mouthpiece at Traverse Theatre
- Dael Orlandersmith for Until the Flood at the Traverse
- Lee Sang-hee for Macbeth at C South
- Alice Vilanculo for E8 at Pleasance Dome
Award winners at the 2018 Edinburgh Fringe included:
- Julie Hesmondhalgh for The Greatest Play in the History of the World at the Traverse
- Scott Sheppard and Jennifer Kidwell for Underground Railroad Game at the Traverse
- Katherine Pearce for Island Town at the Roundabout at Summerhall
- Rachel Clarke, Jacoba Williams, Koko Kwaku, Veronica Beatrice Lewis for Queens of Sheba at Underbelly
- Stella Reid for The Basement Tapes at Summerhall
- Michael Ajao and Valentine Olukoga for The Fishermen at Assembly
- Julian Spooner for Mistero Buffo at Underbelly
- Sophie Steer, Ellice Stevens, Kathryn Bond for Breach Theatre’s It’s True, It’s True, It’s True at Underbelly
- Irene Allan for Coriolanus Vanishes at the Traverse
- Sabrina Messer, Rob Madge, Matt Bond, Rachael Chomer, Chris Baker, Sam Cochrane, Ben Richardson, Will Davis, Zach Okonkwo for Timpson: The Musical at C Venues
Sponsorship opportunities are available for The Stage Edinburgh Awards, and provide a great platform to support theatre talent as well as give exposure for your brand to a young and creative audience.
For full information please contact janice[@]thestage.co.uk.
Photos: Alex Brenner