The Stage

Return to main Advice page

Frequently Asked Questions

18) Funding for drama/stage school

Read The Stage's How To Guide on funding.

There are a number of ways to gain funding for your performing arts courses, depending on what level you are studying at and what you are prepared to do.

National Council for Drama Training has plenty of info on funding and is a very good place to start.

Conference of Drama Schools also has information on funding for the schools it supports.

DADAs are Dance and Drama Awards. You can find out more information about these from the official government website.

Local education authorities (LEA) should be able to help - or at least advise you on the best course of action.

Higher Education Funding Council for England

Other areas to consider:

Career Development Loans (CDL) - are a loan which help fund your vocational training on courses for under 2 years and which

Teachernet suggest other sources of funding on their site.

Youth Music offer funding and training opportunities for young musicians

Inland Revenue's Gift Aid scheme

There may be local trusts set up to help people in your area. Research the local charities and trusts at your local libraries to see if you are eligible and if there are any people willing to help.

Many universities and some other training establishments may have hardship funds. If you are completely penniless they may be able to help, although many have limited funds.

Scholarships and Bursaries. Hot Courses on their Student Money section offer a search facility on what awards may be available to you depending on your background and chosen course.

Student loans - Student loans are available from the Student Loans Company.

Handwriting letters to famous people. This is a technique employed by many a budding actor. Unfortunately many celebrities receive hundreds of these.

Advice from personal experience:

Andrew Piper's Site has interesting advice on fundraising for your drama course from an actor's personal experience.